January 2020 Current Affairs
2019 NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (2019-COVID)
- According to WHO the current outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was first reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019.
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. The genome structure of the virus which is
spreading in China is 70 per cent similar to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). January 2020 Current Affairs
Symptoms: Common signs of infection includerespiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
Treatment: At present, there is no specific treatment for the new virus, and no vaccine is available to prevent it.
- Article 131
Article 131 of the Constitution talks about the original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, where the apex court deals with any dispute between the Centre and a state; the Centre and a state on the one side and another state on the other side; and two or more states.
- ‘Market Study on E-commerce
- in India: Key Findings and Observations’.
A Report by Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- E-commerce means buying and selling of goods and services including digital products over digital & electronic network.
- Types of e-commerce business models:
- Inventory based model- an e-commerce activity where inventory of goods and services is owned by e-commerce entity and is sold to the
- consumers directly. E.g.- Grofers
Marketplace based model – means providing of an information technology platform by an ecommerce entity on a digital & electronic network to act as a facilitator between buyer and seller. E.g.- Amazon, Flipkart etc.
- GREEN ECONOMY
Environmental economist Pavan Sukhdev was awarded the 2020 Tyler Prize for his work in the domain of green economy.
- Tyler Prize for Environmental.
- Established in 1973, it is one of the oldest international environmental awards, recognizing individuals who have
- contributed in an outstanding manner to the scientific knowledge and public leadership to preserve and enhance the global environment.
- What is Natural Capital?
It is the stock of renewable and non-renewable resources
(e.g. plants, animals, air, water, soils, minerals) that combine
to yield a flow of benefits to people.
The central government issued a clarification on the document list of the National Population Register (NPR) on January 15, 2020.no documents or biometric details will be asked while conducting the NPR exercise.
Indian jewellers will be allowed to sell hallmarked gold artefacts made of 14, 18 and 22-carat gold only.
The Union Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani launched Yashaswini Scheme for women entrepreneurship and Swasthya Sakhi project in Goa.
Under the Yashaswini Scheme, the Goa state government will provide interest-free loans up to Rs 5 lakh to women SHGs. The tenure of the loan will be 5 years.
Blue Flag Certification?• ‘Blue Flag’ is an international certification of environmental properties and cleanliness on beaches. Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) runs the Blue Flag program across the world.
Chandrabhaga beach located on the Konark coast of Odisha is the first beach in the country to receive ‘Blue Flag Certification’.